Project Director, Autonomy Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
United Technologies Corp. Headquarters
Brooklyn, NY 11201, US
United Technologies Corporation was founded by some of the world's greatest inventors. We helped build the Second Industrial Revolution and brought about a century of urbanization and globalization. Now we need your help to build the next one.
Tech@UTC is the UTC technology organization, comprised of the global engineering function, several focused centers of expertise, our skunkworks organization - United Technologies Advanced Projects (UTAP), and our advanced Research & Development lab - United Technologies Research Center (UTRC). By combining a passion for science with precision engineering, we create smart, sustainable solutions that prove we can do the big things the right way. We put the "T" in UTC.
United Technologies Advanced Projects (UTAP) is at the heart of UTC's technology organization, fostering a startup-like culture that is unafraid of failure and trying new things. We are comprised of project teams that are co-located with UTC's engineering and business footprints. We run fast and deliver convincing product and service demonstrators that will disrupt UTC's core businesses. UTAP projects bring together UTC's world-leading expertise in engineering and manufacturing along with top external talent, with project teams located at UTC sites around the world.
We are seeking a visionary, action-oriented individual to build and lead a project within our brand new advanced projects organization, UTAP. As a Project Director, you will report directly to the Executive Director of UTAP. You can come be a Project Director from within the UTC engineering community or from the outside. In either case, Project Directors, as well as their project teams, only stay at UTAP for the duration of their project.
To be successful in this role, you must be a leader with demonstrated influencing skills and a track record of end-to-end product execution. You embody world-class expertise in the field of autonomous flight, and harbor a deep respect for all other critical skill-sets.
You must be hands-on-UTAP teams are lean, with minimal overhead; you will spend as much time executing as you do leading and managing execution. You'll exhibit a high aptitude for creative problem solving, especially in dealing with slow and bureaucratic institutions that are nevertheless crucial for project success. You are passionate about understanding current and future technology, human, and business needs around more autonomous flight and strive to develop a step change improvement in this domain.
You'll be responsible for virtually all aspects of project delivery, and are empowered with a commensurate amount of autonomy. This responsibility is end-to-end, from coming up with a comprehensive, aggressive, and rigorously-articulated project plan, to managing day-to-day project operations, to securing a transition path for the project that maximizes its value to the company. It includes recruitment and leadership of a dynamic and diverse team, articulating a compelling vision, managing internal and external stakeholders, and representing the project to internal and external audiences. It also includes nuts and bolts matters such as financial and milestone tracking, conducting regular project reviews, and crafting comprehensive intellectual property and partnership strategies.
Key Job Responsibilities
- Lead a discovery phase within UTC to craft a compelling and strategic vision around more autonomous commercial flight, while identifying potential internal stakeholders and collaborators.
- Develop an end-to-end project concept on commercial flight and/or air cargo applications, to include technical approach, budget, staffing, business case, transition path, etc.
- Manage project execution and operations throughout the life of the project.
- Develop a transition and/or go-to-market strategy.
- Demonstrated leadership ability of product and/or technical teams, with a knack for managing cross-disciplinary teams.
- World-class expertise in the topic of industrial automation, with a broad understanding of adjacent disciplines.
- Superlative communication skills, both in-person, and over distances, and an ability to actively facilitate coordination with multiple remote teams.
- Strong executive presence, whether in the UTC boardroom, or on a panel with startup CEOs, and demonstrated thought leadership in diverse situations.
- An unreasonable combination of risk-tolerance, impatience, optimism, empathy, and vision, and a burning desire to make a difference.
- Degree in a relevant technical field (advanced degree preferred).
- Demonstrated history of success in multiple positions of increasing scope and responsibility
Who We Are
From service to civilian, we’ve got your next mission. At United Technologies, we value your military experience and are committed to helping you find your next mission.
<div style="text-align: justify;">Together, we can innovate and create industry-defining products to move the world. Our engines and components power military and commercial jets. Our elevators and escalators move billions of people daily, and our climate, fire, and security products keep people safe and comfortable in buildings all over the world.
</div><div style="text-align: justify;">
UTC offers a wide range of unique opportunities for the military community. Whether you’re a veteran, transitioning from active duty to a civilian career, a reserve member or a military spouse, we value your skills and have positions available for you.
</div><div style="text-align: justify;">
Join the many people that already call UTC a great place to work. Grow your career and shape the future with us. </div>