Senior Engineer, Mechanical Engineering-Head Up Guidance Systems Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Wilsonville, OR 97070-9215, US
Created in 2018 through the combination of two leading companies- Rockwell Collins and United Technologies Aerospace Systems - we're driving the industry forward through technologically advanced and intelligent solutions for global aerospace and defense. Every day we imagine ways to make the skies and the spaces we touch smarter, safer and more amazing than ever. Together we chart new journeys, reunite families, protect nations and save lives. And we do it all with some of the greatest talent this industry has to offer.
We are Collins Aerospace and we hope you join us as we REDEFINE AEROSPACE.
Our Avionics team advances aviation electronics and information management solutions for commercial and military customers across the world. That means we're helping passengers reach their destination safely. We're connecting aircraft operators, airports, rail and critical infrastructure with intelligent data service solutions that keep passengers, flight crews and militaries connected and informed. And we're providing industry-leading fire protection and safety systems that our customers can count on when it matters most. Are you ready to learn from the most knowledgeable experts in the industry, develop the technologies of tomorrow and reach new heights in your career? Join our Avionics team today.Collins Aerospace makes modern flight possible. Of course, that wouldn't be possible without the capabilities and technologies of our organization, as well as our engineers - a highly skilled, accomplished network that spans more than 180 sites, 24 countries and 6 Strategic Business Units (SBUs).
Are you a self-motivated, creative thinking problem solver, eager to take on new challenges? Our team is looking for confident and passionate engineers to help us create products that solve complex problems and make people's lives safer.
The HGS Mechanical engineering team is responsible for all mechanical engineering tasks related to the design, analysis, test, certification and installation of aerospace head-up display and guidance products. This position requires knowledge of engineering theory and principles to determine packaging solutions for electronic, electromechanical and optical designs. Our engineers are responsible for ensuring products are safe and comply with aviation standards.
- Lead, plan, design, analyze, test and document hardware of moderate to high complexity
- Perform under a process oriented development system and be able to provide process improvement suggestions once knowledgeable
- Perform autonomously under the direction of team leaders, program management and engineering management
- Lead teams of varied sizes to achieve technical, schedule and cost expectations
- Work closely with other engineering disciplines to ensure the mechanical design is appropriate for the project/product design approach
- Contribute to schedule creation and ensure schedule commitments are met
- Create and present program and/or task status presentations to team members and engineering management
- Create and present clear and concise technical descriptions to engineering leadership and customers
- Mentor junior engineers and provide guidance to design and drafting team members
- Provide input to design and document reviews
- Spearhead investigations for open ended complex problems
- Develop detailed hardware requirements based on product theory, system level requirements and customer requirements
- Complete designs that meet documented hardware requirements
- Create designs to optimize weight, volume, cost and manufacturability while meeting structural, thermal and other environmental and functional requirements
- Support new product proposals through schedule creation, initial conceptual design and fit studies
- Create test procedures to support the testing of products to industry and government standards
- Review hardware defects and identify systemic root causes and process improvements
- Create installation documents and provide installation support to customers
- This position requires a Bachelor's degree in the appropriate discipline (preferably Mechanical Engineering) and 5 years of relevant experience or an Advanced degree in the appropriate discipline and 3 years of relevant experience. In the absence of a degree, 9 years of relevant experience is required.
- US Citizenship or Permanent Resident (Green Card) required
- Experience in mechanical engineering design and development
- Knowledge of engineering materials and processes
- Experience with structural and thermal management design
- Proficient in a 3D CAD solid modeling software package (SolidWorks and/or UG NX preferred)
- Experience with static structural, dynamic structural and thermal analysis techniques
- Proficient in tolerance analysis and application of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing principles
- Strong technical, analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to effectively communicate throughout all levels of the organization
- Packaging of electronic and/or precision optical systems
- Robust precision mechanisms
- Environmentally sealed optical and/or electrical enclosures
- Design of manufacturing, calibration and test support equipment
- Aluminum fabrication techniques including: machining & investment casting
- Experience with FEA software package (ANSYS preferred)
- Experience in avionics or aerospace industry
At Collins, the paths we pave together lead to limitless possibility. And the bonds we form - with our customers and with each other -- propel us all higher, again and again.
Some of our competitive benefits package includes:
• Medical, dental, and vision insurance
• Three weeks of vacation for newly hired employees
• Generous 401(k) plan that includes employer matching funds and separate employer retirement contribution
• Tuition reimbursement
• Life insurance and disability coverage
• And more
Apply now and be part of the team that's redefining aerospace, every day.
Who We Are
From service to civilian, we’ve got your next mission. At United Technologies, we value your military experience and are committed to helping you find your next mission.
Together, we can innovate and create industry-defining products to move the world. Our engines and components power military and commercial jets. Our elevators and escalators move billions of people daily, and our climate, fire, and security products keep people safe and comfortable in buildings all over the world.
UTC offers a wide range of unique opportunities for the military community. Whether you’re a veteran, transitioning from active duty to a civilian career, a reserve member or a military spouse, we value your skills and have positions available for you.
Join the many people that already call UTC a great place to work. Grow your career and shape the future with us.
Learn more at https://www.utc.com/en/Careers/career-paths/us-military