Senior Manager - Rail Project Software Development Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
New York, NY 10018, US
Created in 2018 through the combination of two leading companies- Rockwell Collins and United Technologies Aerospace Systems - we're driving the industry forward through technologically advanced and intelligent solutions for global aerospace and defense. Every day we imagine ways to make the skies and the spaces we touch smarter, safer and more amazing than ever. Together we chart new journeys, reunite families, protect nations and save lives. And we do it all with some of the greatest talent this industry has to offer.
We are Collins Aerospace and we hope you join us as we REDEFINE AEROSPACE.
Our Avionics team advances aviation electronics and information management solutions for commercial and military customers across the world. That means we're helping passengers reach their destination safely. We're connecting aircraft operators, airports, rail and critical infrastructure with intelligent data service solutions that keep passengers, flight crews and militaries connected and informed. And we're providing industry-leading fire protection and safety systems that our customers can count on when it matters most. Are you ready to learn from the most knowledgeable experts in the industry, develop the technologies of tomorrow and reach new heights in your career? Join our Avionics team today.
As the Rail Project Software Development Manager you will provide leadership and daily supervision to a team of software engineers engaged in the development, delivery, and maintenance of software for projects that deliver systems serving the Rail/Transit industry. You will be responsible for:
- Providing direction of project software engineering activities in accordance with organizational goals.
- Motivating team members; facilitating meetings; cultivating and reinforcing appropriate group values, norms, and behaviors; and identifying, analyzing and correcting problems by developing plans, tasks and solutions, and ensuring proper use of engineering resources.
- Providing leadership and direction in the implementation, adherence, and continuous improvement of the software engineering processes and procedures.
- Provide leadership, guidance, and training to your team members.
- Collaborate with Engineering Management, the Program Management Office, and individual Project Managers to assess both current and future staffing needs.
- Collaborate with Project Managers and Project Engineering Leads to ensure projects are appropriately staffed with SW engineering resources according to budgets and schedules.
- Collaborate with the Rail Product Development Manager and Engineering Management to plan out and leverage the use of Platform SW to every extent possible for projects.
- Ensure software engineering activities are conducted in accordance with applicable Collins ISO, CMMI, and Engineering policies and procedures.
- Provide technical leadership, guidance and direction for team members in identifying, understanding, and resolving technical issues encountered on projects.
- Evaluate and mentor staff on technical and non-technical aspects of their job responsibilities.
- Assist team members with career development.
- Collaborate with peers and other engineering managers within the Surface Transportation and Critical Infrastructure engineering organization to establish best practices for knowledge management, information sharing, and ensuring consistency of engineering processes and solutions across the division.
- Participate in departmental strategic and budgetary planning processes; prepare and administer work unit operating budget; provide recommendations on policies and goals desired; and implement new/revised programs according to established guidelines.
- Participate in bid and proposal activities, including evaluation of customer requirements, identification and development of technical solutions and development of engineering estimates.
- Identify needs and allocate the appropriate resources to meet timely completion of specific product development tasks.
- Coach the roll-out of Agile practices such as Scrum and Kanban, on project development activities.
- This position requires a Bachelor's degree in the appropriate discipline and 8 years of relevant experience or an Advanced degree in the appropriate discipline and 5 years of relevant experience. In the absence of a degree, 12 years of relevant experience is required.
- Bachelor's degree in a Science, Technology, Engineering or Math (STEM) discipline preferred.
- Seven (7) years of engineering experience in software development, including all phases of the development life-cycle.
- Three (3) years of engineering management experience in a project / program environment.
- Experience working within a formal systems engineering process-driven environment.
- Ability to manage technical capabilities, including resources in a specific area, processes and tools of the overall Engineering Department.
- Ability to lead and be responsible for the technical evaluation of employees using formal and informal (daily interaction and counseling) methods.
- Expert level knowledge of software engineering processes.
- Prior experience with SCADA systems.
- Prior experience working within the rail systems industry.
- The ability to influence, inspire and motivate all team members.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills are required to interface with vendors and customers (internal and external).
- Ability to work independently and in a cross-functional team environment.
- The desire to learn new technologies and apply those to current and future projects.
Some of our competitive benefits package includes:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Three weeks of vacation for newly hired employees
- Generous 401(k) plan that includes employer matching funds and separate employer retirement contribution
- Tuition reimbursement
- Life insurance and disability coverage
- And more
Apply now and be part of the team that's redefining aerospace, every day.
Who We Are
From service to civilian, we’ve got your next mission. At United Technologies, we value your military experience and are committed to helping you find your next mission.
Together, we can innovate and create industry-defining products to move the world. Our engines and components power military and commercial jets. Our elevators and escalators move billions of people daily, and our climate, fire, and security products keep people safe and comfortable in buildings all over the world.
UTC offers a wide range of unique opportunities for the military community. Whether you’re a veteran, transitioning from active duty to a civilian career, a reserve member or a military spouse, we value your skills and have positions available for you.
Join the many people that already call UTC a great place to work. Grow your career and shape the future with us.
Learn more at https://www.utc.com/en/Careers/career-paths/us-military