Staff Eng Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Mebane, NC 27302, US
-Under the guidance of the Engineering Suppression Leader, the Design Engineer delivers a best practice commercially focused product engineering service to WKPE and as appropriate, other UTC operating companies within the Fire Protection Systems (FPS), USA region.
- Key relationships internally include strong working relationships with employees at all levels across the Fire businesses including quality, engineering, supply chain, manufacturing, customer service and product management.
- External third party relationships with outsourced suppliers, certification authorities, customers
- Specifically the Kidde Matamoros extinguisher factory based in Mexico.
Major Job Functions
- Design engineer for fire suppression and security products.
- New product development, value engineering/cost savings, improved engineering and /or better performance of existing products and sustaining activities to help WKPE maintain strong market position.
- Experience with coating processes, powder coating, painting, cleaning processes for cylinders or other metallic parts is required
- Strong new ideas development, project budgeting, project planning, development and implementation of robust test plans / design of experiments.
- Application of robust engineering practices e.g. DFMEA, identification of critical characteristics and similar engineering methods.
- Reporting in accordance with company ACE Engineering requirements
- Proactive support for Kidde Matamoros fire extinguisher manufacturing site.
- Certification authorities for product standards and legislation e.g. UL/ULC
Other Key Activities
- Assist on site quality clinics and defect reporting within set timescale.
- Understanding of FEA using solid works or similar FEA packages for stress related analysis of plastic components
- Project management skills working as part of a cross functional team
- Assist and facilitate with process improvement workshops e.g. Kaizen events, VSM.
- Contribute to UTC ACE and EH and S goals
- Proactively promotes continuous improvement to improve product quality.
- Will maintain own personal development and area of professional competency.
- Knowledge of PLM/PDM systems e.g. Windchill or Enovia would be beneficial| Time served quality individual with related manufacturing experience and practices.| Experience and Qualifications/knowledge requirements
- This role requires good English and good level of interpersonal skills.
- Good engineering qualification, preferably mechanical engineering degree or equivalent level of experience.
- Experience of materials and processes related to forgings, machining, pressed components.
- Experience with plastics materials, components and manufacturing processes
- Mind-set for Design for manufacture
- Engineering CAD experience, preferably Solid works 2016
- Strong verbal, written skills and presentation skills
- Time served quality individual with related manufacturing experience and practices.
- Experience dealing with Product and Quality Management Systems
- Knowledge of good engineering practices e.g. Design and Process FMEA.
- TS 16949, ISO9001, engineering standards, automotive quality standards and similar quality systems and processes.
- Experience of quality tools e.g. Six Sigma, 5S, Kaizen and similar would be beneficial.
- Competent with MS Office software
- Understanding of statistical software
- Familiar with root cause analysis (RRCA), FMEA and statistical analysis tools.
- A self-motivated individual focused on delivering to deadlines.
- Strong communication skills in all disciplines including written, oral, email, presentation and project management.
- Ability to work on own initiative and recognize when a specific issue needs to be
Escalated to a more senior level.
- Good time management, planning and organisational skills with a high level of attention to detail.
- Hands on approach, quick learner, problem solving, team member, and co-ordinator.
- Quickly absorbs product knowledge / proactive self-learner of fire safety and security standards
- Capable of working independently and as part of the team.
- Flexible working approach.
- Able to regularly travel within and outside USA including travel to Kidde Matamoros facility and suppliers in China.
Who We Are
From service to civilian, we’ve got your next mission. At United Technologies, we value your military experience and are committed to helping you find your next mission.
Together, we can innovate and create industry-defining products to move the world. Our engines and components power military and commercial jets. Our elevators and escalators move billions of people daily, and our climate, fire, and security products keep people safe and comfortable in buildings all over the world.
UTC offers a wide range of unique opportunities for the military community. Whether you’re a veteran, transitioning from active duty to a civilian career, a reserve member or a military spouse, we value your skills and have positions available for you.
Join the many people that already call UTC a great place to work. Grow your career and shape the future with us.
Learn more at https://www.utc.com/en/Careers/career-paths/us-military