Staff Systems Engineer - Test & Training Instrumentation Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Cedar Rapids, IA 52498-0505, US
'I feel the need...the need for speed!' If you like the movie 'Top Gun', you will love the Test & Training Instrumentation Engineering Department.
Collins Aerospace Test & Training Instrumentation (TTI) Engineering is responsible for all product line and design engineering tasks related to the design, analysis, test and certification of Air Combat Training systems and their integration into the Live, Virtual, and Constructive (LVC) Training Environment. The Staff Systems Engineer will work in the Mission Systems business unit for the TTI Strategic & Technical Vision Group solving the challenges of developing:
- Products needed for next generation, secure instrumentation
- LVC for test and training
- Product road-maps and architectures
The TTI Strategic & Technical Vision Group is looking for a dynamic Staff Systems Engineer to provide technical excellence in a rapidly growing Air Combat Training market for system of system requirements, design, verification, accreditation, and sustainment within Collins Aerospace Mission Systems. This next generation Air Combat Training system lays the groundwork for delivering Live Virtual Constructive (LVC) capabilities to our military training customers. The Strategic & Technical Vision Group touches all aspects and products within TTI department with an emphasis on forward looking strategic planning, designing roadmaps and architectures, This position will primarily focus on providing department wide support for all product teams requirements decomposition and systems design aspects of the TCTS training system for military fighters. Design responsibilities will span across the entire system including both ground and airborne subsystems with a special emphasis on building a system of systems that contains multiple open standards based software applications.
Interoperability via an open system and a common platform for ease of integration of applications into this system are key tenants for the customer on delivery. System engineering duties will span the entire product lifecycle, from system design through system testing as well as supporting the customer at Air Combat training ranges with fielded system issues.
• Interpretation of operational concepts and customer use cases into requirements and design necessary to execute a training mission through pre-mission planning, mission execution and post mission analysis
• Requirements decomposition and allocation from the customer requirements through subsystem and component level requirements
• System and Subsystem design including Interface definition and development of derived requirements with a focus on the networking and interface designs between subsystems and components
• Supporting the HW and SW design teams ensuring that the implemented design adheres to the systems requirements established for the products
• Verification and validation of the system ensuring that the final product deliveries meet the design intent and customer requirements.
• Project risk identification, mitigation, and escalation
• Adherence to and support of the Collins Aerospace process methodologies while developing and managing commitments to meet project financial and schedule deliverables and quality requirements
• Utilize strong interaction and interpersonal skills to perform in a highly diverse engineering team
This position is located in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. A comprehensive relocation package is available for qualified candidates.
Must Have Requirements:
• Bachelor's degree in a Science, Technology, Engineering or Math (STEM) discipline
• U.S. Citizenship is required. Candidate selected will be subject to a government security investigation/reinstatement and must meet eligibility requirements.
• Practical experience in all aspects/phases of product design and system integration & test
A successful candidate may possess the following:
• Background and/or knowledge of range test and training systems.
• Background and/or knowledge of digital electronics and experience with digital electronics design principles and techniques.
• Excellent written and verbal communications skills and the ability to work well with others in a professional team environment.
• Good organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple tasks, while balancing priorities and schedules are important attributes.
• Self-starter with strong analytical skills.
The candidate must demonstrate that they have superior communication skills as a primary responsibility for this position will be frequent interaction with multiple engineering disciplines, the customer, and our subcontractors to design and deliver this complex, new training system with ease of use as a high priority.
This position requires an individual that can perform with minimal direct supervisory support. As such the candidate must be highly motivated and a self-starter. The ability to coordinate several complex engineering activities while balancing priorities and schedules is a must.
Knowledge of design and development processes is expected. Must possess a desire to investigate problems to the root cause and then champion the creation and implementation of corrective actions.
Each candidate selected for an interview will be evaluated on the following criteria: Education, prior experience, domain knowledge, communication skills and technical abilities
Who We Are
From service to civilian, we’ve got your next mission. At United Technologies, we value your military experience and are committed to helping you find your next mission.
Together, we can innovate and create industry-defining products to move the world. Our engines and components power military and commercial jets. Our elevators and escalators move billions of people daily, and our climate, fire, and security products keep people safe and comfortable in buildings all over the world.
UTC offers a wide range of unique opportunities for the military community. Whether you’re a veteran, transitioning from active duty to a civilian career, a reserve member or a military spouse, we value your skills and have positions available for you.
Join the many people that already call UTC a great place to work. Grow your career and shape the future with us.
Learn more at https://www.utc.com/en/Careers/career-paths/us-military